Thursday 24 March 2011

Getting Dirty

Who is waiting for Spring to properly arrive with gardening season in tow?  NOT ME!

I see great potential in dirt. Not the kind of dirt you find in chewing gum that has been determinedly picked off of hot summer pavement by a 3 year old, but the kind used in pots and gardens.  I get excited about gardening and all of the possibilities that come with it.  So, a day before the arrival of Spring, I decided to try something new and sowed 3 pots of spinach. Now, I've grown spinach before but I've never started it this early.


Did I know there was snow in the forecast?  YES.  Did I care? NO.  After all, the package did say that the seeds could be sown as soon as the ground could be worked.  I read the word 'ground' in the metaphorical sense.
Four days later.....

It will be interesting to see how the seeds develop. I am going to try to ignore them for a bit since a 'watched plant doesn't grow'.  I'm hoping that the spinach will be successful enough to be used as an ingredient in one of the culinary masterpieces of  http://foodbydave.blogspot.com/  
 Gardening has so many health benefits so go out and get dirty!!



You don't even have to have a big garden...

But if you're intimidated by dirt, tools, and plants......


2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Your thumb is green enough that I have faith they'll survive. :) We planted a mini greenhouse full of cilantro, basil, rosemary, carrots, and cherry tomatoes a few weeks back. It's been SO exciting seeing them grow indoors (just days after being planted)! The little guy is just as excited by the whole ordeal, and helps me water them regularly. Let us know how the spinach turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ambitious! Glad to hear you have a little gardener. I'm sure he'll help with the harvesting too! : )
    So far one spinach pot has been rummaged through by a squirrel....they have no respect! ; )
    Let me know how your produce comes along!

    ReplyDelete