Thursday 24 February 2011

Butterfly PLEASE!

Due to the nature of the Nightmare, my hormone levels are off. You're probably thinking, what does this have to do with butterflies?!!? It's coming. Last year I began learning about NaProtechnology. NaProTECHNOLOGY (Natural Procreative Technology) is a new women's health science that monitors and maintains a woman's reproductive and gynecological health, (more specifically the Creighton Model) which involves monitoring one's own cycle closely which gives abundant information that is often undetectable via blood tests. Who says you have to go to university for an education?!?! ; ) This model is gaining a great reputation in the area of fertility care. It is a totally natural, non-invasive way to avoid or achieve pregnancy all the while promoting intimacy and supporting the body in its efforts to do what it was meant to do.
So, back to the butterflies....are you picturing a monarch, or one of the little yellow butterflies that speedily visits gardens in the summertime never staying long
on any one plant? Well, the butterflies I'm writing about are blue and have a needle and tubing attached. For the purpose of monitoring my hormones, my doctor has requisitioned daily blood work for the course of approximately 13 days. I'm not trying to make you jealous of the fun I'm having. It's only fun sadistically speaking which in my experience does not produce delight in either the giver or the receiver of the needles. Thanks to the plethora of blood tests I've had, I've had the opportunity to experience many different styles as far as nursing care is concerned. I've also come to realize that I much prefer butterfly needles over straight needles. The nurses prefer straight needles. If you ask them why they prefer the straight, you'll get a variety of explanations. Trust me, I've asked. It seems the most common reason is that it's faster and easier for them. However, when you're on the receiving end, it can be very uncomfortable which is why I've started asking for the butterfly and these are my reasons:
1) The butterfly needle is smaller, hopefully resulting in less scar tissue when the puncture wound heals.
2) If you have to have multiple vials of blood drawn, the tubing that is attached to the needle absorbs some of the impact and movement that comes from the changing of vacutainers on the hub, reducing incidence of pain. (Ideally the nurse would tape down the wings of the butterfly to secure it to the patient's arm.)
In case your inquiring mind wishes to see what I mean by a straight needle, and vacutainers being changed on the hub and the resulting movement, I've included a youtube video for your convenience.



If you'd like to know more about NaProTechnology, here's a link for you:
http://www.naprotechnology.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment