Friday 25 February 2011

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

Before moving on to another subject, I thought I'd share yesterday's blood draw experience.  I arrived to a nearly empty lab. I've finally figured out the least busy times to visit the lab. : ) I handed over my health card to the nurse behind the counter (which I don't like doing because of the fact that it is falling apart and I don't want to get a new one), plain and simple.

  A few minutes later, I  was directed into the chair of submission.  I pulled up my sleeves and examined my veins.  I was trying to determine which of my two elbow veins had less bruising.  Bruising...something not easily measured.

 The nurse decided to try a lesser vein, one not nearly as prominent as the bruised ones.  It didn't work.  Needle in, no blood.  So, the nurse decided to use the other arm.  This arm she 'disinfected' with an alcohol swab by rubbing the skin back and forth about 5 times...a no-no in venipuncture procedures.  The nurse then proceeded to dry my arm with the dirty cuff of her lab coat sleeve.  I could NOT believe it. 

 In my state of disbelief I managed to spit out the phrase, "Don't do that."  Nurse replied, "I wanted to dry it so it doesn't sting when I put the needle in."  WELL!  I'm no nurse BUT common sense tells me that the wipe of the cuff just undid the work of the alcohol. I have an IDEA.... let's save time and skip the alcohol part altogether! 

  Because I opened my mouth in objection, my arm received another scrubbing of alcohol and then, at my suggestion, was dried with a fresh cotton ball.  I wasn't trying to be in any way bossy or difficult, I just don't want to pick up an infection because of malpractice.  I know, I'm high maintenance.  What would YOU have done in this situation?  It's awkward telling a professional how they should be doing their job for the sake of your own health and well-being.  Especially when you have to see them again...like...the next day...and the next.

If you wish to inform yourself as to what correct venipuncture looks like, here is a video.  An informed patient is a protected patient.  : )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L64g-BguhhE&feature=related

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's the "having to see them again the next day" that would dampen my enthusiasm for telling the nurse...but I probably shouldn't let embarrassment take precedence over INFECTION!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You should have taken her sleeve, blown your nose with it, and said "SEE what kinds of filthy germs can get on your sleeves in a place like this?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THAT'S what you call an object lesson! ; )

    ReplyDelete